In celebration of the forthcoming announcement of who won the first ever Fifth Level Nerd Birthday Gift Drawing, I thought I’d share something I am unreasonably proud of–though my wife claims that my pride is completely reasonable. I’ll let you decide.

I feel that I need to preface this by saying that I am, by no means, a skilled woodworker. I am a novice at best, and more accurately a complete amateur. Nevertheless, I planned and built this entire thing with a little help from my friend Thomas and assistance from my wife. There are still things that need to be done, but overall, I’m incredibly pleased with how this has turned out.

Behold the Crate

Yes, this is a big box.

This is the crate loaded with everything that currently exists for Zombicide: Black Plague and Green Horde (with the exception of a few artist boxes, Murder of Crowz, and Deadeye Walkers). Yes, it’s a lot of stuff and it requires a huge box.

Just the number of miniatures required a much larger box. Oh and the dragons and abominations require a lot more space. Take a look.

Yes, those are dragons hiding in the shadows.

Not only does it fit all of the miniatures, with room for another half tray for when I finally find a reasonable price for Deadeye Walkers and the Murder of Crowz, it also fits all of the components that come with the game, as well as a few extras I’ve added for my convenience.

Everything in its place, and a place for everything.

Building the Crate

Building this crate was a learning experience. I started out by guessing measurements and put one together. It didn’t work. At all. Turns out, it’s a pretty decent crate, but much too small. So, the next time around I made plans in SketchUp.

I’ve had a long-standing love of SketchUp, and it was especially useful for this.

I measured everything that needed to fit into the box and built out a model of a crate that would work. It took several iterations, but the entire thing came together within about three hours or so.

Turns out, that the plans were good, but my assembly skills and cutting accuracy were far less perfect. Even when I borrowed my buddy’s table saw, the cuts didn’t go quite as planned. Regardless, planning out what would fit in which space and having a solid idea of every cut I needed to make helped.

Assembled sides and bottom.

Once all the cuts were made, it was time to start assembling the sides. I used 1 inch screws and drilled some pilot holes. Later, I filled the holes with wood putty and sanded it down before staining it.

The finished product.

All in all, it turned out exceptionally well, and I’m very pleased. Once I touch up the stain and get the miniature trays sliding smoothly, and install some handles, it’ll be ready to go.

Let me know what you think!